Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Can you at least pay for the lube, Medicaid?

the new year brings a reaming from Medicaid. the annual cost-of-living increase in my Social Security Disability by $24.00 means that i now must pay $385.00 PER MONTH of my healthcare expenses before Medicaid will pay for anything (it's called a "spend-down"). the magic number is $1022.00 - make under that, NO spend-down - last year i made $1014.00. the new year came and Social Security gave me an increase to $1038.00 - now i make $16.00 more than the limit so i have a spend-down. what i don't understand is how that extra sixteen bucks makes it so that close to FORTY PERCENT of my disability check has to go to healthcare now.

i'm sending some paperwork to my caseworker to hopefully try to lower the spend-down, but she warned me that we're taking a chance - it could actually increase...but that's a chance i guess i have to take

No comments: