Thursday, May 13, 2004

VNS Update - it ain't brain surgery...

...so maybe i oughta just DO the brain surgery...

appointment with the neurologist today - upping the meds a bit, he doesn't wanna change the VNS settings - guess my coughing fit in the office the last time he tried really freaked him out...

in july, i'm meeting up with Dr. Vicenta Salanova to discuss a temporal lobectomy.

at first, the idea of brain surgery totally FREAKED me out. uh-uh, no how, no way. the VNS surgery wasn't nearly as scary - stick a battery in my chest, wrap a wire around a nerve in my neck. it ain't brain surgery, even tho it really was.

dr. mohan says the success rate for temporal lobectomy is 85-90% - i think those are really good odds, definitely worth looking into the option...willing to take the chance that things could get worse or not change in exchange for an 85-90% chance that my seizures will end? sounds like good odds to me...

the thing that scares the shit out of me? well, the part of the brain they're working with is around the language center, so if something does go wrong...eek, i don't wanna think about that. suffice it to say i'll need to get all my arrangements in order before the actual surgery were to happen.

dr. mohan says my diabetes makes me a less acceptable candidate because it may take longer to heal, but i've been doing really good at keeping my sugars in check and the endocrinologist was happy at my last visit...now i just need to get my stress, anxiety and depression in check - easy as pie! ;-)

No comments: